Class 2 Resin
Resin Supplies that Require Fire Retardancy
Resin materials play a crucial role in various industries, including construction, automotive, aerospace, and marine. One specific type of resin, known as Class 2 resin, has gained popularity due to its unique properties and versatile applications. In this article, we will delve into what Class 2 resin is, its characteristics, and its diverse uses.
What is Class 2 Resin?
Class 2 resin is a specialised category of composite materials that falls under BS 476 part 7.
The term “flame spread” refers to the extent to which flames spread on a piece of laminate that measures 900mm x 230mm after it has been ignited. The panel is placed at a right angle to a radiant panel to simulate the effect of a fire on an adjacent wall or ceiling. It is ignited at the hotter end and allowed to burn for 10 minutes. The degree to which the flames spread is measured along a line 75mm from the base.
A Class 1 rating is given if the spread of flame does not exceed 165mm.
A Class II rating is given if the flame spread is no more than 215mm in the first 1½ minutes and an overall spread of no more than 455mm.
Characteristics of Class 2 Resin
- Flame Retardance: Class 2 resins possess a moderate level of flame retardance. They are less flammable compared to Class 1 resins but not as fire-resistant as Class 3 resins. This makes them ideal for applications where some level of fire resistance is required, such as building materials and transportation components.
- Heat Resistance: Class 2 resins can withstand moderate temperatures, making them suitable for environments where exposure to heat is a concern. They have a relatively high heat deflection temperature, which means they maintain their structural integrity at elevated temperatures.
- Mechanical Strength: These resins offer good mechanical strength and durability, making them suitable for applications that require robust materials. They can withstand mechanical stress, making them valuable in structural components and load-bearing applications.
- Chemical Resistance: Class 2 resins exhibit excellent resistance to a wide range of chemicals, including acids, bases, and solvents. This property makes them suitable for use in industries where exposure to various chemicals is common.
Applications of Class 2 Resin
- Construction: Class 2 resin is commonly used in the construction industry for manufacturing fire-resistant building materials. It is used in composite panels, structural elements, and insulation materials to enhance fire safety without compromising structural integrity.
- Automotive: In the automotive sector, Class 2 resin is utilized in manufacturing components such as interior trim, dashboard panels, and engine covers. Its flame-retardant properties help improve the overall safety of the vehicle.
- Aerospace: Aerospace applications often require materials that can withstand high temperatures and provide fire resistance. Class 2 resins are employed in aircraft interiors, including cabin components and insulation materials.
- Marine: Class 2 resin finds use in marine applications for manufacturing boat hulls, decks, and other structural components. Its resistance to water, chemicals, and fire makes it an excellent choice for marine environments.
- Electronics: Electronic enclosures and housings also benefit from Class 2 resin’s properties. Its ability to provide fire resistance and protect sensitive electronic components is highly valuable.
Class 2 Resin Recap
Class 2 resin is a versatile material that offers a balance between fire resistance, mechanical strength, and chemical resistance. Its moderate flammability and burn characteristics make it suitable for a wide range of applications across various industries. From construction and automotive to aerospace and marine, Class 2 resin continues to play a crucial role in enhancing safety and durability in diverse environments. If you’re looking for a material that offers both protection and strength, Class 2 resin may be the ideal choice for your project.
Get in touch with us today and find out how our range of Class 2 Resins can benefit your business.
We supply a full range of products for all applications within the composite manufacturing industry. Our products are quality approved and prepared for dispatch by our expert teams. Tricel stock and distribute an extensive range of products to meet the requirements of GRP manufacturer. We stock the leading brands within the composite industry at competitive prices.
With over 60 years in the composites industry, our technical team are always on hand to offer our customers the best advice to ensure you are using the most appropriate products for your business.
Through specific process analysis, our Technical Sales Team will help to provide the products to help our customers maximise their production capabilities, whilst minimising costs and wastage.
Whether through our own fleet or in partnership with our logistics provider, we offer reliable delivery to your business for all orders. We appreciate that delivering on time is critical to your business and focus our efforts in ensuring you receive your products on time every time.